Meat Technology Ireland (MTI) is an industry-led ‘one-stop shop’ for meat processing research and technology, serving as a hub to co-ordinate all beef and sheep meat processing research needs. ICBF, based in Cork and Kildare is a leading provider of information-based genetics services to the Irish dairy and beef industry and is a key partner, along with Teagasc and the meat processors in MTI.
We are currently looking for a technician to join the ICBF team based in Kildare town, Co, Kildare. As part of the project you will have specific responsibilities around the following areas:
- Collection of Greenhouse gas data on cattle using Greenfeed machines located at the Tully research station in Kildare town and other selected farms.
- Using a master file of AI sires to routinely identify progeny of interest to the project, based on data from the ICBF database.
- Communication and support with the relevant herd-owners, including feedlot producers, on the animals of interest which will include their management, weight measures, collection of Greenhouse gas data, feed intake and logistics of transport between herds and/or to the slaughtering facility.
- Interact with meat processing plants on the slaughtering of the animals of interest and ensuring the relevant data is collected and the appropriate samples taken.
- Logistics of sample handling and transport of samples.
- To interpret findings and present, where necessary, to stakeholders
- Participate in ICBF, Teagasc and Meat Technology Ireland (MTI) events.
- To assist ICBF in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science or related discipline
- Excellent organisation and logistical skills, to ensure smooth collection of data on all animals relevant for the project.
- Ability to work on own initiative and collaboratively with others.
- Aptitude, and where available, demonstrated examples of excellent communication (oral, written, presentation) with an ability to enable effective knowledge and technology transfer.
- Good project management, analytical skills, and report writing.
- Experience in data handling
- Experience in setting own agenda
- Evidence of teamwork and collaboration with relevant partners
ICBF is the leading provider of information-based genetics services, employing approximately 90 employees in Cork and with more than 20 years history in Ireland.
If you are interested in the above position, please submit your cover letter and CV via our online application process.
ICBF is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing date for applications is 4th March, 2022