Want To Be Part of The Future of Dairy Genetics? With over 500 herds now signed up, there are still a limited number of Dairy Gene Ireland straws available to order.
DAIRY GENE IRELAND – The Future of Dairy Genetics
The dairy breeding programme is a key component of the Irish dairy industry with the aim of providing farmers with new genetics and increase the rate of genetic gain in EBI. The programme is designed so that each participant will receive straws from a selection of High EBI young sires. These young bulls are sourced from Irish farms and are all from high genetic merit sires and dams.
Use GENE IRELAND bulls. Why?
- From 2005 to 2014 they have delivered €203 million in extra profit to the Irish dairy industry.
- Compared with 2005, farmers are €550/lactation more profitable – we wouldn’t be in this situation without the contribution of the Dairy Gene Ireland program.
- €8.50 per straw
- Holstein/Friesian Pack – Average EBI €285
Requirements for herds to participate in the programme involve milk recording, recording inseminations, sire and calving ease details, using all allocated straws in the current season and providing health information as it becomes available on daughters of these bulls.
This Spring the target is to test 80 young genomic bulls and the cost is €8.50 per straw. Pedigree herds will receive all pedigree bulls. Excellent customer support is provided including inbreeding reports for your herd, bull information sheets & on-line Gene Ireland® reports and profiles.
The breed packs available this year are as follows:
The Multi-breed pack is a combination of Jerseys, HF x JE crossbreds, Norwegian Red and HF bulls for comparative purposes. Straws are available in packs of 25 (5 bulls x 5 straws) 35(5 bulls x 7 straws) and 50 (5 bulls x 10 straws).
If interested in joining the programme this spring, it is advisable to do one of the following as soon as possible as demand is high.
- Complete the Sign-up Form and return to Gene Ireland, ICBF, Highfield House, Bandon, Co. Cork
- Ring ICBF on 023 8820452 to sign up over the phone.
- Email [email protected] .
- Contact your local Semen Sales.
2018 Dairy /Beef Programme
Dairy farmers involved with the dairy gene Ireland programme have the option of using straws from beef bulls suitable for use in dairy cows. These bulls are short gestation and easy calving sires. Please contact Ciaran Costello on 045 520796 for more information.