So far in 2021, close to 382,000 weights have been recorded as part of the Beef Environmental Efficiency Programme Sucklers (BEEP-S) and just over 21,000 for the Dairy Beef Programme. The objective of the BEEP-S is to further increase economic and environmental efficiency in the suckler herd through improvement in the quantity and quality of data that is collected. The programme targets the weaning efficiency of suckler cows and calves through the collection of the live weights of cows and progeny in the herd. With the majority of unweaned calves now at the optimum age for weighing (5-8 months) and the 1st November deadline in the near future, we would encourage any farmers who have not yet weighed their animals to make plans to do so. To arrange the rental of a scales, go to www.mybeep.ie.
Uploading weights to the ICBF database is made easy by using the ICBF Weight Recording App. The app allows farmers to quickly record weights at any time in any location.
How to use the ICBF Weight Recording App?
To download the app, search for “ICBF Weight Recording” in your app provider’s app store.
Once downloaded, log in with your username (herd number) and password. If you need to request a password text the word PASS to 089 4577663 and a password will be texted out to you. Alternatively, you can call the HerdPlus office on 023 8820167 or email [email protected].
For herds in the BEEP-S or Dairy Beef Calf Programme, it is a requirement to register scales details unless renting a scales through the rental network.
If you have not yet registered your owned or borrowed scales, you can do so through the app by selecting ‘Scales Register’.
To record weights, select whichever scheme/option that applies to you.
Please note: Scheme participation is not a requirement for recording weights. The weight recording app is available for all herds.
Once BEEP-S or Dairy Beef Calf has been selected, a list of eligible animals will appear.
Choose the animal that you want to record weight information on.
Check the date, enter the weight and press SAVE.
Things to remember:
- Scales owned or borrowed need to be registered with ICBF.
- Rental scales may not be readily available in the lead up to the deadline so ensure to book in advance.
- Weighing must be completed when the calf is unweaned.
- A cow and her calf must be weighed on the same day in order to be eligible for payment.
- Weights should be recorded within 7 days of weighing.
Outside of the app there are a number of options for submitting weights to ICBF:
- ICBF website – You can record weights through a desktop/laptop computer through www.icbf.com. Under the ‘Services’ dropdown, select ‘BEEP-S’ and then select ‘Record Weights’.
- Farm Software – Weights recorded through a farm software package/app will be acceptable for BEEP-S. It is your responsibility to ensure that the weights transfer from the software provider to the ICBF database.
- Paper Forms – Where recording weights online through a computer or app is not an option, you can submit weights via paper forms. These can be posted to you on request by calling ICBF on 023-8832883. Alternatively, you can log in to the ICBF website and print off forms. Under the ‘Services’ dropdown, select ‘BEEP-S’ and then select ‘Weight Recording Form’. Where you are printing forms yourself, please print them one-sided. Do not submit weights on forms that have been printed two-sided.
For more information see, Frequently Asked Questions Beef Environmental Efficiency Programme – Sucklers (BEEP-S)
If you have any other questions in relation to BEEP-S, or the Dairy Beef Calf Programme please contact ICBF on 023-8832883 or email [email protected] Alternatively, you can contact DAFM on 076-1064423 or email [email protected]