What are the most popular beef sires used in Suckler herds this year? Below is a list of the sires with the most serves recorded during the first 6 months of the year (01/01/2022- 30/06/2022). The results are based on the analysis of insemination data collected from AI technicians linked to the ICBF database, through their AI handheld system.
Table.1 The Top 10 most used Beef bulls used on beef cows based on Total AI Handheld Serves
|Top 10 Beef bulls used on Beef Cows based on Total AI Handheld Serves|
|Rank||AI bull||Name||Breed||Replacement Index||No. Serves|
|7||AA4089||INTELAGRI MATTEO E.T. (ET)||AA||€156||1,996|
|9||AA4640||HW FARGHAL T516||AA||€114||1,463|
Table 1 Summary:
- The number one most used Beef bull this year is CH4321- Lapon, with 6,742 handheld serves recorded.
- The second most used beef bull this year is LM4217-Moondharrig Knell, with 4,819 handheld serves recorded. This bull was the most used bull in 2021.
- The third most used beef bull this year is ZAG- Castleview Gazelle, with 4,689 handheld serves recorded.
- Out of the top 10 most used beef bulls, 9 of them were tested through the Beef G€N€ IR€LAND breeding Programme.
- There were a total of 72,103 beef serves recorded on handhelds during the first 6 months of the year.
Table 2. The % of handheld serves by beef breeds used in beef herds (01/01/2022- 30/06/2022).
|The % of Handheld Serves by beef breed used on Beef Cows|
Table 2 Summary:
- Limousin is the number one most used beef breed in suckler herds, with 26,810 handheld serves recorded.
- Charolais is the second most used beef breed in suckler herds, with 18,155 handheld serves recorded.
- Angus is the third most used beef breed in suckler herds, with 10,423 handheld serves recorded.
- There was a total of 1,090 beef bulls recorded on handhelds during the first 6 months of the year.