The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) is now accepting applications for the 2022 BDGP. This is the second transition year following on from the original 6 year BDGP (2015-2020) before the new ‘Suckler Carbon Efficiency Scheme’ commences in 2023.
The application facility is now available on agfood.ie and applications can be made up until 5pm on Mon 20th Dec. An online application can be submitted by the farmer themselves, or by an approved agent on their behalf. Where an application has not been submitted online by 8th Dec, a text message will issue to potential participants on 10th Dec. There will be a 72 hour window after the issue of the texts whereby an applicant can reply ‘DAFM Y’ (for Yes I want to extend my BDGP contract into 2022) or ‘DAFM N’ (for No I do not want to extend my BDGP contract into 2022). A confirmation text should then be issued if the text has been received by DAFM.
The requirements for 2022 are the same as those for 2021:
- 50% eligible females in herd on 31st Oct 2022.
- An eligible stock bull in the herd on 30th June 2022
- At least 80% AI progeny born between 1st Jul 2021 and 30th Jun 2022 must be sired by eligible AI sires.
- Genotype 60% of your herd’s reference number.
- Complete all animal survey data e.g. calf quality, cow milkability, etc.
- Complete a Carbon Navigator update for the 2021 calendar year.
Full T’s and C’s can be accessed here.