Video provided by Teagasc Beef.
50% of the reference number of females on your farm must be GENOTYPED 4 or 5 star on the replacement index by 31st October 2020.
Currently about 10% of herds are not meeting their requirement.
The main thing that farmers need to do at this point:
- Be aware of your own herd’s situation.
- Check compliance. This can be done by logging into the ICBF website, select ‘View Profiles’, then “BDGP Eligibility’. This will then open an overview screen detailing your herd’s compliance status.
- Check to see if your herd has any 4 or 5 star females that are waiting to get a genomic evaluation. The October evaluation will be published on Tuesday 6th of October and the November evaluation on Tuesday 24th November.
- If you are not currently meeting your female requirement you may need to buy in genotyped 4/5 star females.
If purchasing cows/heifers, please ensure to check that they are BDGP eligible.
BDGP eligible females (BDGP I) must meet the following criteria:
- Born before 30th June 2019.
- Born on/after the 1st January 2013.
- Genotyped 4/5 star on date of purchase.
- Have a published genomic evaluation.
To be sure that you have the most up-to-date information, use the ICBF Animal Search tool on the website or mobile app. A green banner will appear on the animal search to indicate that an animal has a genomic evaluation. Any animal without this green banner does not have a genomic evaluation.
If you require support or clarification, please contact your Teagasc adviser, the HerdPlus office in ICBF or the Department of Agriculture.