ICBF are currently signing up herds to the 2019 Gene Ireland Dairy Beef Programme.
ICBF and Teagasc expects that beef AI usage in the dairy herd will grow significantly over the next number of years, due to;
- an expanding dairy herd,
- demand for more beef from the dairy herd, and
- potential application of sexed semen technology.
Objectives of the programme
The objectives of the programme are to ensure more accurate genetic evaluations for beef traits related to the dairy herd, most notably calving difficulty (%), gestation length and calf quality and to help AI partners & pedigree breeders to identify new beef bloodlines that will be suitable for the dairy herd. AI companies provide the progeny test bulls for the programme and they are distributed to herds within the program.
Teagasc/Blade purchase a % of the calves born for subsequent growth, carcass and meat-eating quality analysis. Health & disease data is also collected on the purchased animals. A proportion of these calves will also enter the ICBF Tully performance test station for feed efficiency analysis.
Benefits of the programme
The key points from the programme include:
- Straws will be charged at €6/straw delivered to your technician.
- The packs will be chosen by the farmer and may be mixed breeds or single breed.
- It is not recommended to use G€N€ IR€LAND bulls on maiden heifers.
- Breeds that are available on this year’s programme include:
***THESE STRAWS ARE LIMITED SO ORDER EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT***
Further information on the packs currently available and a copy of the order form including the Terms & Conditions must be signed to avail of the straws.
If you are interested in participating in the Gene Ireland Dairy Beef programme 2019, or have any questions in relation to the programme, please contact ICBF on 045 520796 or email [email protected]