Meat Technology Ireland (MTI) is a new Enterprise Ireland, industry-led initiative that will build a strategic research and innovation base in beef and sheep meat processing in Ireland. MTI will be a ‘one-stop shop’ for meat processing research and technology, serving as a hub to co-ordinate all beef and sheep meat processing research needs. The Irish Cattle Breeding Federation (ICBF), based in Bandon Co. Cork is a leading provider of information-based genetics services to the Irish dairy and beef industry and is a key partner, along with Teagasc and the meat processors in MTI.
We are currently looking for a technician to join the ICBF team based in Bandon, Co, Cork. As part of the project you will have specific responsibilities around the following areas:
- Maintaining a master file of AI sires of interest to the project.
- Using this master file of AI sires to routinely identify progeny of interest to the project, based on data from the ICBF database.
- Communication with the relevant herd-owners, including feedlot producers, on the animals of interest which will include their management, weight measures and logistics of transport between herds and/or to the slaughtering facility.
- Interact with meat processing plants on the slaughtering of the animals of interest and ensuring the relevant data is collected and the appropriate samples taken.
- Logistics of sample handling including their transport to the ageing facility and sensory analysis.
- To interpret findings and present, where necessary, to stakeholders
- Participate in ICBF, Teagasc and Meat Technology Ireland (MTI) events.
- To assist ICBF in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science or related discipline
- Excellent organisation and logistical skills, to ensure smooth collection of data on all animals relevant for the project.
- Aptitude, and where available, demonstrated examples of excellent communication (oral, written, presentation) with an ability to enable effective knowledge and technology transfer.
- Good project management, analytical skills, and report writing.
- Experience in data handling
- Experience in setting own agenda
- Evidence of teamwork and collaboration with relevant partners
If you are interested in the above position, email your C.V. along with a cover letter describing why you are best suited for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org